Join us Saturday, May 6, for an all-day fundraising event at Buffalo Wild Wings, 2313 W. Main St in Troy. Ten percent of your total bill (including alcohol sales) will be donated to Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library in Miami County! There will be many events throughout the day. Play Balls for Books, a competition against Coach Burgbacher and other Troy Football celebrities from 2-5 p.m. Purchase tickets and pick your winners for the Kentucky Derby and a chance to win a Big Screen TV, $100 gift card, and many other prize packages. Get your Raffle tickets at Buffalo Wild Wings (available now) for other great prize baskets. Winners will be drawn at 6:45 p.m. the day of the event. Don’t miss out on all the fun and the chance to support this early literacy program. Children need to learn to read before they can read to learn!
Why support the program? As one parent said, “We discuss with our children how they get these books. As a result they have learned about the mail process. More importantly they know that not every kid in America gets a free book in the mail. We have shared with them that they get these books because the adults in our community think that they and their friends are so they pay for them to have these books so all the kids in our community can learn to read and do good in school.”
Surveys of our county residents have shown that this program is working.
- “The fact the book comes in the mail especially for her encourages her to want to sit and go over the book several times, improving her vocabulary.”
- “We’ve spent many, many hours of reading time together. These books got my son through his first words, potty training, and fear of the dark. We treasure so many of the stories, and know they will stay in his library for his children to enjoy.”
- “He has more books to read at the level where he should be. As parents we don’t always know the correct age range of books to buy.”
- “I think she will be more prepared for school because using the books she gets from the Imagination Library I am able to teach her more words and what they mean.”
- “I am a single parent with a full time job and it’s hard to find rime to go to the library, so this is a fantastic program and my son is excited to receive his book every month.”
Program sponsors and gift basket donors include The Troy foundation, Paul G. Duke Foundation, Troy United Way, Piqua United Way, Tipp City United Way, Miami County Foundation, Tipp City Area Community Foundations, Milton-Union Community Chest, Piqua Community Foundation, Friends of the Troy Library, Allstate Foundation (via Patty Rose), Troy Rotary, Tipp City Rotary, Altrusa, Covington Optimists, Leaf and Vine, Buffalo Wild Wings, Harris Jeweler, Springhill Suites, and LuLaRoe.