What is Google My Business?
According to the statisticians, more than 20% of small businesses do NOT have a Google My Business page claimed and setup.
This really is a tragedy when you understand that Google My Business (or GMB for short) is a free tool that lets you manage how your business appears on Google Search and Google Maps. The FREE listing includes your business name, location, and hours; allows you to monitor and reply to customer reviews; enhances your listing with location-based and product photos as well as gives you some insight as to how people are seeing you online, and what they are looking at.
If you do ONLY ONE THING to enhance your SEO
Setup your GMB. Very simple. Since you know most people find your business using Google, and Google search is the tool that they use, why would you not have correct and fully fleshed out information located there?
Steps to Creating your Google My Business Page
- Log into the Google Account you want to have associated with your business
- Go to google.com/business and Start Now
- Enter your business name
- Enter your business address
- If you go to your customers’ locations, rather than having them come to you, check the box “I deliver goods and services to my customers.” And if you work out of your house or another address you don’t want publicly shown, Check “Hide my address (it’s not a store) Only show region”.
- Choose a Category for your business. This can be tough as Google’s category choices are small, and they generally don’t do a good job of nailing what you do. Choose a category that most closely aligns with how people will search for you online.
- Add your business phone number and website URL.
- Choose a verification option and follow those instructions. This can be the most trying thing as if you choose “postcard” verification, you’ll have to wait a week or more to receive that postcard in the mail. We recommend using telephone verification.
Finishing your GMB Listing
OK, so you’ve gone through the grueling 5-minute setup protocol and have verified your business location with Google. Now, pat yourself on the back as you have completed more work in SEO optimizing your small business online than tens of thousands of other owners out there. Congrats!
Photos on GMB
Google loves Photos! And better yet, people that search for your business love photos. They like to see photos of your business exterior, interior, your products you sell as well as your people. These photos can be professionally taken, but then pics snapped using your mobile phone are going to be 100% better than leaving those possible leads on the table.
Things to Remember
– We can schedule a photographer to shoot your location/products/team
– We can complete and optimize your GMB for you
You want to make sure that your business hours (hours of operation) are correct and everything looks 100% because anyone on the Interwebs can make and suggest edits to correct your listing. Say they believe your address is incorrect. Or your website URL. Google searchers and ambassadors are invited to correct your listing for you.
An oft’ asked question is: “How many photos should I upload to my Google My Business listing?”
Answer: As many as you can. But at least 3 in each category of Exterior, Interior, Products, Team and Employees at Work. If you are a service industry and don’t make products, upload an image of you working with a customer.
At any point in time, you can edit your business profile by logging into your GMB dashboard, clicking on “Info,” clicking the pencil next to the field you’d like to edit, making your change, and then choosing “Apply.”
Why Google My Business App is So Important
As a retailer. They will tell you. Say your location is closed on Friday in observance of a non-standard holiday. Do you really want dozens or hundreds of people to show up on that day you are closed only to find a “Gon’ Fishin’” sign in the window? Of course not. Using the mobile app for GMB, you can quickly chuck in that time off so that when someone asks Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant or Google Home “Is XYZ business open right now?” those digital assistants will answer appropriately. So, get the app loaded to your phone. You’ll thank us.
5-star reviews on Google can be a great way to distinguish your amazing business from all those other kingfishers out there. But. What if someone leaves you a poor review? Do you “let sleeping dogs lie” or do you respond? Our recommendation is to always, always reply with honest, heartfelt and accurate replies. Without a Google My Business account established for your business, your business can receive negative reviews, that are not being replied to.
Things to Remember
– We can repair your reputation and respond professionally to those negative reviews for you.
– We can build an SEO plan to rehabilitate negative PR about your business.
The post Setting Up Your Google My Business Listing
appeared first on Bash Foo